Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Websites are funny

 What is a website other than a bunch of code. text, images, and possibly videos. It may even contain links to other websites or documents. But here's the thing. Each website has to be created and this takes time, energy, talent, and oh yes, money.

I have a wwebsite which you can find here. Its a very simple one page website. Other websites are quite complex. For example, the google.com website which looks so simple until you think of all that it does and all that must be behind it.

Why do I mention this? Because you may have decided you want to have a website for your business , organization, or club. You really need to consider what that might cost. For example, I was trying to do something that I had never done before. I spent several days beating my head against a wall and suddenly I hade an inspiration and was able to create that bit of code in minutes. So here's the question. If this was for a client (it wasn't) what would I charge? Could I charge for all the time it took to figure out how to do it? That seems wrong as I think it cheats the client. On the other hand, do I just charge for the final moments when I figured out how to do it? That also seems wrong. It cheats me.

There are other considerations. Perhaps the website needs lots of specialized or technical text. Perhaps pages of it. Who creates that? How much time is alloted for editing?

This is just to give you something to think about if you want a website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Computer Shortcuts via The Keyboard

Here is an alphabetic list of common shortcuts Ctrl + A - Select All Ctrl + B - Bold text Ctrl + C - Copy selected Ctrl + F - Find (access S...